How Vaping Helps Your Body Adjust When You Quit Smoking
It’s widely accepted that vaping is the most effective way to help you give up smoking – more so than most other forms of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) – and that e-cigarettes are by far a safer option than traditional ciggies. And the good news is that when you make the switch to vaping your body can start to heal very quickly without necessarily needing to sacrifice your nicotine fix. So, stop smoking and start vaping now.
You’re probably already aware that nicotine is the addictive ingredient in traditional cigarettes and it’s this, other than habit and social reasons, that is most probably what prompts you to keep lighting up. When you start vaping you can choose e-liquids that contain various levels of nicotine that match your previous smoking habit so you can manage nicotine withdrawal more easily. Also, you can choose tobacco-flavoured e-liquids that mimic the taste of your old ciggies to make the transition even easier.
The sensation of vaping is quite different from smoking although you do get the same hand-to-mouth muscle memory. You’re still inhaling, but you’ll probably need to adjust to the different tastes and the throat hit that you’ll get from vaping.
Changing habits takes time, so stick to what you’re used to doing. If you normally have a cigarette when leaving work, having a pint in the pub, or watching TV in the evening, vape instead. Or just get out your e-cigarette when you need a nicotine hit.
If you’re a smoker, then switching to e-cigarettes is the best thing you can do for yourself. The side effects of making the shift depending on whether you decide to stick with nicotine. Because you can choose whether to use it or not and how much when you buy your very first vape kit.
To give you an extra boost of inspiration you’ll be encouraged to know how positively your body will react to the first weeks and months of vaping. Forewarned is forearmed.
How will your health improve when you make the switch to vaping?
The good news is that within minutes of switching you’ll already start to feel the benefits.
- In just 20 minutes, you’ll find your pulse rate will drop back to near normal. Your oxygen levels also start to return to normal. You might feel a bit dizzy or lightheaded as your brain gets a sudden whoosh of the oxygen it’s been lacking all these years.
- Within 8 hours the residual carbon monoxide in your body starts to reduce. E-cigarettes don’t produce carbon monoxide and tar, two of the most dangerous constituents of tobacco cigarettes.
- After 48 hours your lungs will start to clear as they begin expelling mucus. You’ll likely find food and drink is much tastier than before as the receptors in your nose and mouth repair.
- After 72 hours, according to the NHS, your breathing will be easier, and you’ll feel more energised.
- Within a matter of weeks your blood circulation will be improved.
- In three to nine months your lung function will increase by up to 10% and any coughs, wheezing and breathing issues will improve. Walking upstairs will be easier.
- It’s a well-known fact that smoking cigarettes puts you at a far greater risk of a heart attack. Within just a year that risk will have halved compared to the risk you would have faced as a smoker.
- The big news is that after 10 years your chances of dying from lung cancer will be halved compared with those still smoking.
You might not realise it, but lung cancer isn’t your only cancer risk. By switching to e-cigarettes, you reduce your chances of getting one of the other smoking-related cancers including tracheal, kidney, bowel, liver, bladder, nose, mouth, neck, oesophageal and stomach cancers, to name a few. And it’s not just your physical health that will improve: your mental health will benefit too. You will likely find your mood is better with stress, anxiety and depression all improving.
So, there are many seriously dangerous conditions that are caused by smoking, yet the threat can be easily eradicated by making the switch to vaping. Some people worry they will still be vaping nicotine. But while it’s addictive it’s relatively harmless. Plus, with the right choice of e-liquids, you can gradually reduce your nicotine intake over time, even eventually dropping down to zero if you like.
Regardless of any withdrawal symptoms you might experience, remember, they’re relatively short-lived, you will soon feel so much healthier and fitter – and your body will thank you for it.
For more information and advice about quitting smoking please see a Stop Smoking and Start Vaping guide. They have lots of information about choosing your first vaping kit plus a calculator to show you how much money you could save with e-cigarettes (in case you need any additional incentive!).